Friday, October 16, 2009

A little excitement on Hemlock Road....


It was approximately 10:00 PM. It's 28 degrees outside, but with new flannel sheets and the best mattress pad money can buy, I was snug as a bug in a rug ... not to mention the new Hungarian Goose down comforter I bought today ... I felt like a real Vermonter ... layered up and ready for the cold. But something awoke me ... a light ... I thought maybe Aaron had left the porch light on because surely anything that wakes me up at night is his fault--no questions asked. But we soon realized that it was brighter than our porch light and no way it could have been simply caused by the garage light. Something was amiss ... and alit and we decided to investigate. Donning my baby pink fleece robe with dark pink polka dots, I make my way to the garage because it has windows. And sure enough, I saw what looked like a small SUV ... station wagon perhaps ... parked very much in our driveway with its lights on. Not right up to the door, mind you, but definitely close enough to question its intentions. Once I hit the garage lights, it went into reverse and made its way up our dirt road.

Here's the deal. It is either one of the neighbor's cars or it is in for a rude awakening, because Ms. Mud Boots, who watches every car that makes its way up the private drive is sure to meet this one with a shotgun in hand. She makes no bones about the fact that she doesn't like people making U Turns on her "private" drive. I, on the other hand, think she should be thankful for any attention she gets.

However, after a few moments ... the car comes back down our road and parks at the end of it, at a stop sign facing Route 5 and the CT river. I want to call the Norwich Police, but Aaron thinks it is premature. But after several minutes, he gives me the go ahead.

I try 411. Guess what. They have no listing in Norwich, VT for police. I refrain from releasing the sarcasm that is rolling around in my head ... after all ... we have already been pulled over by them for speeding and we pass the police station at least once a week going to the dump. So, I open Google while Aaron checks a list of numbers our landlord gave us. In the meantime, suspicisous care is still there and I am on the phone with dispatch.

If this had been CA ... and I know because I have called the police in CA ... they would have said that the police were busy on a real emergency and would be there when they can. If this were North Carolina, they would have simply taken their own sweet time showing up... as in never. But within 10 minutes a patrol car was driving up our road. Only, they just missed the suspicious vehicle because it turned north on Route 5. So, I felt obligated to call the nice dispatcher back and alert her to the change in situation ... then within seconds, I saw the patrol make its way north on Route 5.

I have to say ... there is something comforting in the fact that the crime rate is so low here that the police show up lickety split. On the other hand, what the heck were those people doing in our driveway ....

On a positive note: I have eagle vision and my night vision puts cats to shame. I took down the license plate and found out that you can do a criminal records search on any Vermont licence plate for a mere $29.95. I asked Aaron if it was worth it. Negative .... but the suspense is killing me ... and my wallet is within 15 inches on my computer.

Problem is, it is probably some tourist, or teenager ... something completely benign and I would have wasted $30 finding out that life around here really is less exciting--from a crime point of view. I mean, after all, what do I want ... to find out that someone is stalking us? We don't cheat on our taxes .... and as far as I know everything we buy is made in Vermont .... I suppose I will never know.

1 comment:

martie said...

Amazing! I too wonder what your night visitor had on his/her mind.